Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oscar Rankings for Best Picture

1. The King's Speech- This movie gave the best character portrayals of any of the other nominations for best picture. Colin Firth was completely immersed in his role as the king and gave off great sincerity in his struggle to overcome his speech impediment and unify the country. The cinematography and overall look of the film was very well done. The long corridor scenes and experimental camera angles always kept me interested. Geofferey Rush really helped bring the movie into greatness. Rush and Firth showed great chemistry and it was fun to see how their attitudes towards each other progressed throughout the film.
2. True Grit- Jeff Bridges was made to play the role of Rooster Cogburn and the dialogue he is given is highly memorable and quotable. The portrayal of Mattie could not have been better. I was very surprised at how traditional the movie seemed with the exception of Mattie. Mattie really seemed to really hold her own and bring out the best in a star studded cast with both Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon. Overall a very well made film that is very dialogue and actor driven.
3. Toy Story 3- The Toy Story franchise has always been one of my favorites ever since I was a little kid. They always surprise me in there unsurpassed quality as animated films. This film was my favorite of all the Toy Story films. It really struck an emotional cord with me, which is a very rare occurrence for me with an animated film. The story is very well done and brings the trilogy to a very dramatic conclusion.
4.  The Social Network- This was a film I thought that I would never like and did not see the appeal. But after watching it I found it to be surprisingly humorous. I liked the portrayal of Mark Zuckerburg but found some of the supporting actors like Justin Timberlake to be very annoying and this detracted from the film. I feel like the soundtrack was what really stood out for me. It was very well done and really helped keep things interesting.
5. Inception- I found this movie to be very good and intriguing for the first half or so but then fell into deep confusion. The dream scenes really stood out to me and had visual effects like nothing I had ever seen done in film before. I think that I might really enjoy this movie in time after more viewings of it. For now I am still very confused and puzzled about what it is that actually happened.
6. Winter's Bone- This film gave off a very melancholy feeling as I was watching it. I prefer my movies to be a little more uplifting. I admired however the documentary type feel of it and what they were able to do with a very limited budget. The dream sequence where the screen went to black and white and followed the squirrels fleeing their destroyed habitat was particularly memorable to me, in showing how Ree must have felt. I felt like the ending at least gave off a little bit of hope in an overall very bleak film.

No comments:

Post a Comment